Jody Victor: The Buckeyes (7-2, 4-1 Big Ten) have an open date this Saturday, while Northwestern (6-2, 2-2) is at Minnesota. The Ohio State-Northwestern football game next Saturday, Nov. 8th will kick off at noon Eastern and be televised by either ESPN or ESPN2. Here's this week's postgame notes.
* Ohio State is 126-102-12 all-time against ranked opponents. Under head coach Jim Tressel, Ohio State is 32-11 overall against ranked opponents.
* Ohio State is 805-306-53 in its 119th season of play. The win total ranks fifth all-time in Division I college football. The only other schools to have 800 or more wins are Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas and Nebraska.
* Ohio State is 447-189-28 all-time in Big Ten games.
* Ohio State is 384-106-20 (.773) all-time at Ohio Stadium.
* Jim Tressel's record with the Buckeyes is 80-18 (.816) and his career record is 215-75-2. Tressel's 215 wins are the third-most among active FBS coaches, just ahead of Virginia Tech's Frank Beamer with 214 after the Hokies also lost Saturday.
* The Buckeyes are 419-128-14 all-time as a Top 25 team.
* Ohio State is 357-125-28 in October games and 244-63-20 in October home games.
* Saturday was the first night game at Ohio Stadium since 2005.
* Ohio State is 6-2 in home night games (games starting 5pm or later local time) since 1959 and 32-14 in night games all-time. Ohio State is 1-2 so far this season in night games. Under coach Tressel, the Buckeyes are 14-8 in night games overall and 2-2 at home.
* Saturday was the 87th Homecoming at Ohio State. Jim Tressel is 6-2 in Homecoming games at Ohio State.
Jody Victor: No. 10 Ohio State (7-1/4-0) hosts No. 3 Penn State (7-0/4-0) for an 8:30 p.m. Eastern game this Saturday, October 25, at Ohio Stadium (102,329) in Columbus. This Homecoming matchup of the Big Ten leaders will be televised by ABC. In a show of Buckeyes pride, all fans are asked to wear scarlet to this nationally televised game at Ohio Stadium as part of the “Scarlet Fever” promotion.
The Buckeyes lead the series with Penn State 12-11. Ohio State has won the last two games played in the series, 28-6 in 2006 in Columbus and 37-17 last season at Penn State. Ohio State has an 8-5 advantage in all games played in Columbus and a 10-5 advantage in games since Penn State began Big Ten football participation in 1993.
The Buckeyes are ranked 10th this week in the USA Today/AFCA coaches' poll, 10th in the Associated Press media poll and 10th in the Harris Poll. Penn State is ranked third by the coashes, 3rd by AP and third in the Harris Poll. In the first installment of the BCS standings released Sunday, Ohio State is ninth and Penn state stands third. It should be a great game this Saturday!
Go Bucks! Go Bucks! Go Bucks!
Jody Victor: Ohio State (6-1/3-0) visits Michigan State (6-1/3-0) for a 3:30 p.m. Eastern game this Saturday at Spartan Stadium (75,005) in East Lansing. The Big Ten matchup will be televised by ABC.
* Ohio State is 6-1 and 3-0 in the Big Ten
* Michigan State is 6-1 and 3-0 in the Big Ten
* This is the 39th meeting between the schools in football; Ohio State leads the series 26-12
* Coach Jim Tressel is 79-17 (.823) in eight seasons at Ohio State; 214-74-2 (.741) in his 23rd season overall
* Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio, who is 13-7 in his second season at MSU, was the Buckeyes' defensive coordinator from 2001-03
The Buckeyes are ranked 11th this week in the USA Today/AFCA coaches' poll, 12th in the Associated Press media poll and 13th in the Harris Poll. Michigan State is ranked 17th by the coaches, 20th by AP and 18th in the Harris Poll.
With six wins thus far in 2008, the Buckeyes are among 15 teams nationally that are already bowl eligible. Others are: Alabama, Ball State, Boise State, BYU, Michigan State, Minnesota, Oklahoma State, Penn State, TCU, Texas, Texas Tech, Tulsa, Utah, and Western Michigan.
Jody Victor: The Buckeyes are looking for their fourth-consecutive win after their 20-17 victory at Camp Randall Stadium last Saturday. Chris “Beanie” Wells ran for a season-high 168 yards and a touchdown to help OSU snap Wisconsin's 16-game home winning streak.
The Buckeyes and Boilermakers have met 50 times previously on the football field, with Ohio State holding a 36-12-2 advantage in the series. Ohio State leads 24-5-2 in all games played at Columbus; the two teams last met at Ohio Stadium in 2003, a 16-13 OSU victory in overtime. The Buckeyes were 23-7 winners last season at Purdue.
In the polls the Buckeyes are ranked 11th this week in the USA Today/AFC coaches' poll, 12th in the Associated Press media poll and 12th in the Harris Poll. Purdue is unranked.
Ohio State (5-1/2-0) hosts Purdue (2-3/0-1) in a 3:30 pm Eastern game this Saturday, October 11 in Columbus. The Big Ten matchup will be televised by ABC.