Jody Victor: After playing its first 20 games on the road, Ohio State opens its 2010 home slate Wednesday at 2:05 p.m. against in-state foe Toledo before traveling to Northwestern for the first Big Ten series of the season Friday through Sunday. The Rockets are 13-8 on the season and took two of three vs. Kent State last weekend to open MAC play.
After opening the spring break trip with three consecutive wins over Eastern Illinois, Bucknell and Army, the Buckeyes bats struggled to get much going offensively, dropping three of the last four games on the trip. Here's some stats.
* Senior outfielder Zach Hurley led the team offensively on the trip, batting .500 (15-for-30) with four doubles, two home runs and 15 runs scored. For his efforts, Hurley was named Big Ten player of the week March 22.
* Senior 1B/DH Ryan Dew batted .414 (12-for-29) with a home run and five runs scored.
* Senior 2B Cory Kovanda hit .409 with a long ball and five runs batted in.
* Junior right-hander Drew Rucinski made a successful transition from the bullpen to the starting rotation, picking up a pair of wins over Bucknell and Dartmouth. The Broken Arrow, Okla. native combined to pitch 11.0 innings, giving up two earned runs and striking out 10 batters in the two starts.
* Junior right-hander Alex Wimmers continued his strong start, moving to 5-0 with a win over Army. The preseason All-American went 7.0 innings, giving up two earned runs and striking out eight. Wimmers, who has struck out at least eight batters in four of five starts this season, also started 5-0 last season. Only two other Buckeye starters have begun the year 5-0 in the last five seasons: Cory Luebke (7-0 in 2007) and J.B. Shuck (5-0 in 2006).
* Junior right-hander Dean Wolosiansky put together a strong spring break trip after a couple of shaky starts. After picking up a save in 2.1 scoreless innings in two appearances to start the trip, Wolosiansky was the hard-luck loser against Rollins, tossing a career-high 9.1 innings, giving up three earned runs (two in the 10th inning) on nine hits while striking out six.