UCF (1-0) at #18 Ohio State (1-0)
Saturday, Sept. 8, 2012 – Noon ET
Ohio Stadium (102,329)
Television:ESPN2 will televise the game with Beth Mowins and former Buckeye Joey Galloway on the call.
Radio: WBNS (FM 97.1 The Fan) is the fl agship station for the 73-station Ohio State radio network. The Urban Meyer pregame show airs 30 minutes prior to kickoff. Paul Keels will call the play-by-play with former Buckeye Jim Lachey in the booth and Marty Bannister on the sidelines. The game can also be heard live on Sirius channel 113 XM channel 196.
FIRST AND 10
- Ohio State and Central Florida (UCF) are meeting for the first time on the gridiron.
- Fans will be asked to wear scarlet and to wear gray for a Scarlet and Gray the Shoe promotion.
- Ohio State is playing its 123rd season of football; UCF is playing its 34th.
- Two cool schools: 56,867 attend Ohio State’s main campus; 58,698 attend UCF.
- Both teams are coming off 50-point openers: Ohio State over Miami, 56-10, and UCF winning at Akron, 56-14.
- Urban Meyer has 105 wins as a collegiate head coach. UCF’s George O’Leary has 103.
- Ohio State has won 58 consecutive regular-season non-conference home games vs. teams not ranked in the AP Top 25. The last loss: 34-17 to Florida State, Oct. 2, 1982.
- Ohio State is 58-7 at Ohio Stadium since the start of the 2002 season.
- Ohio State has opened a season with a win every year since 2000, 13 consecutive wins.
- Ohio State is 32-2 in its last 34 season-openers Both of those 0-1 starts took place in the Kickoff Classic at Giants Stadium – 1999 to Miami and 1986 to Alabama.KICKING THINGS OFF
Ohio State hosts UCF Saturday in Ohio Stadium in the first-ever meeting between the schools. The noon kickoff will be televised nationally on ESPN2 with former Buckeye and NFL wide receiver great Joey Galloway providing color commentary alongside the play-by-play of Beth Mowins.
OSU & UCF OPEN WITH 50-POINT GAMES
Ohio State is coming off a season-opening 56-10 win over Miami in front of 105,039 fans at Ohio Stadium. The Buckeyes shook off a slow start to amass eight touchdowns and 538 offensive yards – 368 by Braxton Miller- while the team’s defense held the Redhawks to negative rushing yards (-1).
UCF rolled over Akron last Thursday, 56-14, in front of a partisan crowd of 12,616 fans at Akron’s InfoCision Stadium. The Knights scored four rushing and four passing touchdowns and put the game away with a 28-point second quarter. Statistically, outside of a 206-69 rushing advantage for UCF, the numbers were similar (UCF had 386 yards to Akron’s 325; Akron led in first downs 19-18, but the Zips also lost three fumbles).
- BUCKEYES RANKED 18TH BY AP
Ohio State is still currently ranked 18th this week by the Associated Press with the new poll scheduled to be released Tuesday. The Buckeyes, who have been ranked by the AP more times – 790 weeks – than any school in the nation, appeared in the AP preseason poll for the 24th consecutive season two weeks ago, the longest such streak in the nation. This initial ranking in 2012 also marked the 45th consecutive season Ohio State has appeared in the AP toll, tying Alabama for the longest active streak.
OPENING SALVOS …
The season-opening win by the Buckeyes was the first at Ohio State for Urban Meyer, who is now 4-0 in inaugural games. The win improved first-year coaches’ records at Ohio State to 22-1-1 in their debut games and to 22-1-1 in their initial home game. Ohio State has won 33 consecutive home openers.
- Go Bucks!!!
- Jody Victor