#14 Ohio State (4-0, 0-0) at #20 Michigan State (3-1, 0-0)
Saturday, Sept. 29, 2012 – 3:30 p.m. ET
Spartan Stadium (75,005)
East Lansing, Mich.
Television: ABC will televise the game with Brent Musburger and former Buckeye Kirk Herbstreit in the booth and Heather Cox on the sidelines.
Radio: WBNS (FM 97.1 The Fan) is the fl agship station for the 73-station Ohio State radio network. The Urban Meyer pregame show airs 30 minutes prior to kickoff. Paul Keels will call the play-by-play with former Buckeye Jim Lachey in the booth and Marty Bannister on the sidelines. The game can also be heard live on Sirius channel 137, XM 85 and Dial Global Sports (formerly Westwood One).
FIRST AND 10
- Ohio State and Michigan State are meeting for the 41s time on the gridiron since the first meeting in 1912.
- Ohio State is playing its first game in Spartan Stadium in four years, or since the 2008 season.
- Ohio State won the last meeting in East Lansing, 45-7 in 2008.
- Urban Meyer and Mark Dantonio are each the 24th head coaches in their respective school’s history.
- This is Ohio State’s first game on grass this year.
- Ohio State was 0-3 on grass fields in 2011 (losses at Miami, Purdue and Florida at the Gator Bowl)
- Ohio State is playing its 100th season in the Big Ten Conference this season, having joined the league in 1912 and playing its first season of Big Ten football in 1913.
- This year is Michigan State’s 60th season of Big Ten football after joining the league in 1949 and playing its first season in 1953.
- The game will be the Big Ten opener for each school. Ohio State is 70-24-4 in Big Ten openers.
- QB Braxton Miller is averaging 110.2 rushing yards per game and is seventh in the NCAA in scoring at 11.5 points per game.
No. 14 Ohio State, unbeaten and 4-0 after four consecutive home games at Ohio Stadium to open the 2012 season, travels to East Lansing, Mich., for a 3:30 p.m., nationally televised game against the No. 20 Michigan State Spartans. ABC will televise the game. ESPN College Gameday will be on site, the 30th time the Buckeyes will be a featured team at a GameDay site.
FIRST GAME IN EAST LANSING SINCE 2008
Ohio State hasn’t played at Spartan Stadium since the 2008 season. The teams did not play in either 2009 or 2010. Last year Michigan State snapped a seven-game losing streak in the series with a 10-7 win in Ohio Stadium.
FIRST VISIT FOR VIRTUALLY EVERY BUCKEYE
Not only will the game be the first road test of the season for Urban Meyer’s Ohio State team, it will also be the first visit to Michigan State for virtually every player on the team with these two exceptions: Sr. DE Nathan Williams played as a true freshman in the 2008 game and made one tackle; Sr. LB Etienne Sabino also played in that 2008 game on special teams as a true freshman.
COACH vs. COACH
Ashtabula, Ohio, native Urban Meyer (Cincinnati, ’86; Ohio State, ’88) and Zanesville, Ohio, native Mark Dantonio (South Carolina, ’79; Ohio, ’80) will coach on opposite sidelines as head coaches for the first time. Meyer is 108-23 in 11 seasons as a head coach and Dantonio is 65-40 in his ninth season as a collegiate head coach.
OHIO STATE vs. MICHIGAN STATE IN 2012
The game will match a Spartan defense that ranks first in the Big Ten Conference in scoring (11.8 points allowed), rushing (69.2 yards allowed), total defense (233.5 yards allowed) and is second against the pass (164.2 yards allowed) against an Ohio State offense that ranks third in scoring (37.8 points per game), second in rushing (229.2 yards per game) and fourth in total offense (427.0 yards per game). The Buckeyes are 10th in passing offense with an average of 197.8 yards per game.