Jody Victor: Here’s some great Buckeye football news from osu.edu and OhioStateBuckeyes.com.
UAB (0-2) at #16 Ohio State (3-0)
Saturday, Sept. 22, 2012 – Noon ET
Ohio Stadium (102,329)
Television:BTN will televise the game with Eric Collins and Derek Rackley calling the action and Lisa Byington on the sidelines. The game also is available on BTN2Go.com.
Radio: WBNS (FM 97.1 The Fan) is the flagship station for the 73-station Ohio State radio network. The Urban Meyer pregame show airs 30 minutes prior to kickoff. Paul Keels will call the play-by-play with former Buckeye Jim Lachey in the booth and Marty Bannister on the sidelines. The game can also be heard live on Sirius 113 and XM channel 197.
FIRST AND 10
- Ohio State concludes a four-game home-stand of noon games Saturday against the University of Alabama at Birmingham or “UAB”. Either is correct on first reference.
- Ohio State and UAB are playing for the first time in football.
- Ohio State is seeking win No. 400 in 90-year-old Ohio Stadium. Ohio State’s official record in the stadium is 399-109-20.
- Ohio State coach Urban Meyer is 107-23 in his 11th season as a head coach.
- UAB coach Garrett McGee is in his first season as a collegiate head coach. He has been an assistant with six different teams, including Northwestern (2004-07).
- Urban Meyer’s teams are 37-4 in the month of September and have won 11 consecutive games (Mississippi, 2008).
- Ohio State is 60-7 at Ohio Stadium since the start of the 2002 season.
- Ohio State has won 60 consecutive regular-season non-conference home games vs. unranked (Associated Press) teams. The last loss: 34-17 to Florida State, Oct. 2, 1982.
- Quarterback Braxton Miller is the Big Ten Conference’s offensive player of the week for the first time. He was freshman of the week twice in 2011.
- Next Week: Ohio State opens Big Ten play on the road against Michigan State.
KICKING THINGS OFF
Ohio State concludes a four-game homestand to open the 2012 season with a noon game Saturday, Sept. 22 against the University of Alabama at Birmingham Blazers at Ohio Stadium. Ohio State is ranked 16th this week by the Associated Press after opening the season 18th, moving up to 14th in Week 2 and to 12th in Week 3.
TOUGH WIN vs. CAL KEEPS BUCKS UNBEATEN
Ohio State prevailed in a battle against a talented and determined California team on Saturday and improved to 3-0 on the season with a 35-28 victory. Braxton Miller connected with a wide open Devin Smith on a 72-yard touchdown pass play with 3:26 left in the game and Christian Bryant capped the win with an interception with 1:09 to play. Cal, 1-2 on the season and at USC this week, outgained the Buckeyes, 512 to 412, and came back from a 20-7 deficit to lead 21-20 in the fourth quarter. But Miller led two scoring drives around Cal’s third missed field goal of the day to give Ohio State its 399th victory in Ohio Stadium. Miller finished with a career-high 249 yards passing and four touchdowns with Smith and Jake Stoneburner catching two apiece. Miller also had a 55-yard touchdown run.
A LITTLE ABOUT UAB
Garrick McGee was named the head football coach at UAB Dec. 4, 2011 after serving on the staff at Arkansas for four years, including the past two seasons as the Razorbacks’ offensive coordinator. UAB is coming off a 49-6 loss at No. 8 South Carolina Saturday that dropped its record to 0-2 on the season. UAB lost to in-state rival Troy, 39-29, in its opener and had an open week in Week 2 of the season.
The Gamecocks led, 21-6 at halftime, although they were outgained by the Blazers, 178-130. Twice in the second half UAB did not score on first-and-goal situations while USC added four scores, includin g a 94-yard touchdown pass, to put the game away.
UAB STATS LEADERS
The Blazers are averaging 363.0 yards per game (282.5 passing; 80.5 rushinig) and allowing 477.0 (256.5 passing and 220.5 rushing). Quarterback Jonathan Perry has completed 52.2 percent of his passes (35 of 67) for 536 yards with two touchdowns and one interception. Jacki Williams and Patrick Hearn have 11 receptions apiece, for 202 and 174 yards, respectively. Linebackers Marvin Burdette (17) and Greg Irvin (16) lead the team in tackles.
123RD FOOTBALL SEASON
The 2012 football season will be the 123rd season for the Ohio State football program. Football became a varsity sport at Ohio State in 1890. Ohio State ranks fifth all-time in NCAA Division I history with 826 wins. Ohio State’s all-time record is 827-315-53.
100TH BIG TEN SEASON
The 2012 season will be Ohio State’s 100th season of play in the Big Ten Conference. Ohio State joined the former Western Conference during the 1912-13 academic year, but it could not compete in the conference in football until 1913. Ohio State ranks second in all-time Big Ten wins with a record of 457-171-24. Ohio State also ranks second with 34 outright or shared Big Ten championships.